Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Animal Baby Shower Cake

 
Now we're talking! This has got to be one of my favorite cakes EVER. We made this for DJ's sister's baby shower February 2012. (Hi April!) The whole cake was vanilla with vanilla bean Italian meringue buttercream. The fondant was Satin Ice, and the little animals were sculpted completely out of gumpaste.
 I really got to test out my sculpting skills with this cake. (Yes, those are my man hands above.) 
I made four little animals:
 
I drew inspiration from different designs I saw online and duplicated them. I dyed the gumpaste before-hand and sculpted them with special little tools Wilton sells. This was the first time we were making a cake that lots of other people would see, so the pressure was definitely on.


Thankfully everything went according to plan! The only thing that we didn't make and isn't edible is the brown ribbon around the bottom tier. 

Since it was a ladies only baby shower, I got to go along with the cake and see that it got there safe and sound, and I even got to cut and serve it! We got awesome feedback. Like I said, probably my favorite cake we've ever made!

No comments:

Post a Comment