Saturday, August 17, 2013

Finding Nemo revisited!

Well guys, this is the first cake we've done in over a month! Lets do a quick update on our lives before we get into the cutest cake we've ever made. I graduated from school and went through a full internship for dental assisting. After accumulating my allotted hours, I put out ten billion resumes and immediately got a few prospects. Now, I have a full-time (and I mean FULL TIME) job as a receptionist at a truly lovely (and huge) dental office. And DJ still has his full time job at a famous little place in Berkeley, so making cakes has sort of been put on the back burner since we have really no time for life, let alone cakes,

However, when we received a text from my friend's friend, I was more than ready to get back into the cake world. Her adorable little son is turning one, and she wanted to go all out with a Finding Nemo themed cake. 

Now guys, I know you remember the very first cake we ever made together. If not, let me refresh your memory:
                   
Finding Nemo. That was a few years ago, and I guess it never goes out of style. Needless to say, we've definitely improved our cake skills (and our photography skills). We were both really excited to get to revisit an old idea and blow this cake out of the water! So here's the new one:
                                         
I can actually hardly believe we made this cake. It's definitely the coolest cake we've done so far. (But I say that about all of our cakes!) We also added a Nemo in after this picture was taken, boo hoo! But that's okay. Needless to say, our customer was delighted, and I hope her son was too!

This cake was vanilla with fresh strawberries and Italian buttercream. Squirt (the turtle) was made of cake and rice krispy treats, with fondant decorations and food coloring painted on for the spots. The decorations are all edible (duh), made from gumpaste. I think we have a few more cakes coming up, so stay tuned! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment